Friday, July 11, 2008

The Zoo (yes we went again)


On Friday we had a planned field trip to the Zoo with lots of family and friends. I think in all there was 24 of us. We unfortunately started the day off on the wrong foot. Maddy had an awful night. She cried when she went down, woke up three times crying and then crashed and was still asleep at 7:30 when I woke her up. While she was sleeping I woke up to a rainy day so I decided to switch the wagon out for the jogging stroller only to find that the jogging stroller had a flat. So Brian unloaded that and I planned on picking up our other stroller from Katie when we picked her up. So I got Maddy out of bed finished packing and hit the road.

We picked up Grandma Katie (who had ran to the store for me to get the grapes and cheese I had forgotten) and Carol. We were supposed to meet at 8:30 and we didn't arrive until almost 9:00. I guess everyone has to be late once in awhile. After we all arrived we headed to the Children's Zoo where we finally got to see the baby leopard. She is SO cute.

After checking her out we headed on to the otters. One was swimming and putting on quite a show. The big kids decided to climb, slide and play in the sandbox so the younger crowd had a quick snack in their strollers.

We moved on to the goats and after seeing the Grant's farm goats I was a little nervous. The zoo worker assured me that their goats are much tamer because they are not fed by the visitors. I could not get over how calm they were. The kids got to pet and brush them and the goats really could have cared less. One little guy did try to snack on cousin Audrey's shirt and another on cousin Angie's pants but otherwise they were extremely tame. We continued on to River's Edge and saw the elephants and the dinosaurs. Maddy wasn't crazy about the dinosaurs this time so we made a quick exit and headed to the bears and penguins.

We had just enough time for a carousel ride and then were heading out to have lunch. We entered the Living world and an author selling his books stopped us and read his book to the kids. Maddy loved this and wanted to get a closer look. I bought her a copy of the book (I don't want to kiss a llama) so we can enjoy it at home. We ate a quick lunch outside the zoo and then headed home for a long nap. Summer heat has finally arrived!

No comments: