Thursday, October 23, 2008

19 month checkup


Today we went to the doctor for Maddy's 19 month check up. Maddy weighed in at 28lbs and 12oz and is now 34 1/2 inches tall. That puts her in the 90% in weight and the 97% for height. The doctor actually laughed when telling us her height % and said she is quite a tall girl. This was no shock to us since she is as tall as her 3 year old cousin Michael and dwarfs her 2 year old cousin Emma. The doctor asked if she could eat with a spoon. Yes. Can she string tow words together. Yes, how about whole sentences. Good balance, good sleeping , good eating, yes, yes and yes. We also discussed her allergies. We were trying Zyrtec but it was making our strong headed toddler an emotional wreck. When she doesn't get her way she gets mad but on the medicine she was actually crying huge tears and very sad over everything. So we decided to scratch that and try Nasonex. He said that the first frost should get her pretty cleared up too. Come on first frost! We also showed the doctor a bumpy rash that Maddy has on her face (mostly noticeable after a bath). We told him she also has it on the back of her arms and the back of her thighs. I assumed it was dry skin because I have a bit of the same on my arms and it comes and goes. The doctor said it was Keratosis Pilaris (say that 10 times fast). He said it is a genetic skin condition (sorry kiddo) that up to 50% of adults have and most don't even know it (like me). It is basically really dry skin that can turn into little bumps on your skin. I have a very mild case and we assume Maddy's will be mild now that we know what it is and can treat it. There is no cure for it but with the right lotion and mild soap it is very manageable. He also said it will be worse in the winter when the humidity is low. Well I guess I got a free diagnosis on this trip too.

Maddy had to get 3 shots today. She cried for the first one and then screamed for the second two. I quickly got her up and showed her the Tweety bird band aids they put on her legs. This slowed the screaming a bit and when the nurse told her bye Maddy gave her the saddest bye-bye I think we have ever heard. All in all our girl is continuing to grow like she should and I think other than her yearly flu shot she is off the hook until kindergarten.

No comments: